The family business, located on a ranch in the foothills of northern California and now in its third generation, has specialized in custom design and hand crafting of fine metal work since 1927. This is the year that Hans Grag first arrived in Chicago from his native Germany.
While in Chicago he co-founded CELLINI CRAFT. After relocating to California in 1952 he and his wife Elizabeth, formed GRAG STUDIOS and started designing and fabricating light fixtures for GUMP'S. In 1959 they were joined by Norman and his wife, Patricia. The business at this time diversified into producing sculpture and ecclesiastical commissions as well as lighting. Both Hans and Elizabeth remained active in their craft until their deaths in 1965 and 1991 respectively.
Sculpture, lighting and decorative furnishings have been commissioned by developers, architectural and private firms, government agencies, museums and private collectors, churches and synagogues.